- Anyone who thought that Ohio State wouldn't contend for a Big Ten title this season better reevaluate. I said it all summer - this defense will be very good, and if the QBs can make good decisions (like they did against Akron), the Buckeyes can make a BCS bowl game. Akron isn't a very good team, but the Buckeyes looked better than I thought they would on Saturday.
- Tennessee has some issues to work out (specifically up front), but Tyler Bray looked very good for most of the night against Montana. If UT can solve some blocking issues, this will be a very potent offense. The defense still looks young, and it will be interesting to see how they handle Cincinnati's offense next week.
- Michigan's defense still has a LONG way to go. It will be very interesting to see what Denard Robinson's roll will be when trailing or in close games this year. Western Michigan went toe to toe with the Wolverines, and it would have been an interesting finish (would not have called the game early if closer), if not for those 2 defensive TDs by UM.
- Notre Dame = overrated (as usual), yet they still had plenty of opportunities to beat South Florida.
- Wisconsin looks even better than advertised on offense, but not so much on defense.
- Kentucky, Purdue, Washington, Pittsburgh, NC State, Kansas State, and Missouri really struggled against poor competition, and still won. Indiana, Duke, and Oregon State weren't so lucky.
- What happened to TCU and Auburn on defense??
- Boise State was never in trouble against Georgia. Too bad their national title hopes took a huge blow, thanks to TCU.
- Has Cincinnati regained their Brian Kelly-esque offensive form? They'll have to put up big numbers against Tennessee before I'll jump on that bandwagon.
- It's going to be an up and down year for USC. Again.
- Oregon has yet to beat a non-conference power that has a good defensive under Chip Kelly (Boise State, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn - struggled to score against each), and that's not a coincidence.
Tuesday, September 6, 2011
College Football - Week 1 Recap